August 27, 2015
- The Official Minutes
of the July 16, 2015 Parks and Recreation Board Meeting.
- The Agenda
for the September 1, 2015 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. Note this falls on Tuesday.
- George Csete has added two photos to his gallery of the township’s seasonal beauty
- A letter
to residents affected by road closures on Charlestown Day is available.
- Campbell Thomas & Company will present the final draft of the
Devault Trail Feasibility Study to the
Charlestown Township Board of Supervisors and our community on Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 7:30 pm
in the Choral Room (Room 154) of the Great Valley Middle School, 255 Phoenixville Pike, Malvern, PA 19355.
You will have an opportunity to comment on the study before the Board considers it for approval.
The draft report is available here
and is also available in hard copy form to review at the Township Office.
- The Summer 2015 Newsletter is now available in PDF form.
With this newsletter comes a Community Planning Survey so you can share your opinions.
Fill it in and return it for a chance to win a $150 gift certificate to The Office Bar & Grille!
- The Planning Commission meeting for August 11th was cancelled.
The next meeting of the Planning Commission will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 8th at 7:30 pm at the usual location.
- Area Paving Work remaining. Tentative schedule:
- Howell Road – starting 8/22/15 - 3 days
- Save the Date — Charlestown Day will be on October 3rd this year. The event features several races and family activities.
Visit the event’s new Website at www.charlestownday.org.
1 Mile Family Fun
and Kids’ Dash
October 3rd, 9:00 AM
||Sign Up now
for the Chester County Emergency Notification System.
It’s free to sign up for ReadyChesCo,
and you can choose the type of alerts that you get.
- Renovations — the pavilion area at Charlestown Park will be closed starting June 1st to allow demolition of the
existing structures and replacement with new pavilions, restrooms and play area this fall.
- Charlestown township is pleased to announce that in 2013 our Website was awarded
in the 45th Annual Township Citizen Communication Contest. Thank you Pennsylvania
State Association of Township Supervisors!
- Want to be notified of significant postings on this Website?
Sign up for the township e-mail notification list.
Gallery Posts –
Monday thru Friday
9:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
P.O. Box 507
Devault, PA 19432
4030 Whitehorse Rd.
(610) 240-0326 Phone
Malvern, PA 19355
(610) 240-0328 Fax
Directions to Office
Meeting Dates, Times & Locations
Other Useful Links
Welcome to Charlestown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania. Our township is about 25 miles
west of Philadelphia and very close to Valley Forge National Historical Park. It is rich in the
history of Pennsylvania. The township is about 12.515 square miles (8,010 acres) in area.
Our Purpose is to supply the most comprehensive information available on our township in an online
The name, Charlestown, honors Charles Pickering, the friend to whom William Penn granted
5,383 acres along the creek where Pickering and his friend John Tinker, believed (mistakenly) that
they had found silver. The two men dug a cave into the side of “Tinker Hill,” thus creating the
first non-Indian residence in the township. Drowned on a voyage back to England before 1700, Pickering
willed his land to sixteen friends. The acreage was combined with that of John Grey and of Penn’s
sister, Margaret Lawther, to become Charlestown Township in the first official survey of 1738. This
included both Schuylkill Township and the Borough of Phoenixville, areas removed from Charlestown