Planning Commission:
Bill Westhafer, Chairman, Andre von Hoyer, Vice Chairman, Michael Allen, and Andy Motel. Michael Richter arrived at 8:10 p.m. Wendy Leland and Michael Churchill were absent.
Daniel Wright, Thomas Comitta, Daniel Mallach, and Susan and Dale Frens
Linda Csete and Lisa Gardner

Call to Order:

7:35 p.m.


Mr. Westhafer announced that Charlestown Day is September 16th.

Mr. Westhafer commended Mrs. Csete for the latest informative Newsletter.

Approval of Minutes

July 11, 2017 Minutes

Mr. Motel moved to approve the minutes of July 11, 2017 and Mr. von Hoyer seconded. Mr. Westhafer called for discussion, and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

General Planning Items

Review of Floodplain Ordinance

Mr. Wright provided background on the draft Floodplain Ordinance, which has an adoption deadline of September 29th, 2017. FEMA cannot demand municipalities adopt any ordinance, but if not adopted, floodplain insurance for affected residents would be suspended. The Supervisors scheduled a hearing for September 5th and requested the Planning Commission’s recommendation before adopting it.

Mr. Wright said he’s been working with FEMA’s consultant on the model ordinance, which repeals and replaces the existing one. It updates and makes consistent, areas such as enforcement, appeals, definitions, etc., but it imposes no further restrictions on development. There are also no changes in flood plain delineations for Charlestown, or changes from neighboring townships. Mr. Thompson has reviewed this ordinance and knows of no other township not adopting this version.

Mr. Motel moved to recommend adoption of the Floodplain Ordinance and Mr. von Hoyer seconded. Mr. Westhafer called for discussion, and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

Plan Review

Devault Village at Spring Oak

Mr. John Mostoller, Mr. Jason Engelhardt, and Mr. Thomas Fillippo were present to review three items related to the final plan. Mr. Allen gave a brief history:

  1. In early winter of 2016-2017 he met with the applicant to discuss and resolve issues.
  2. From this meeting, he developed a further list dated February 14, 2017.
  3. The DRC met with the applicant in May.

Tonight Mr. Allen reviewed 6 points.

  1. Stormwater Management
  2. Garage Arrangement (review of this item not required by Board of Supervisors)
  3. Architectural specificity (critical)
  4. Where to define these above 3 controls (review of this item not required by Board of Supervisors)
  5. A stand-alone Design Manual
  6. Complete architectural design for each unit for each lot requested by the Board.
Stormwater Management (1)

Mr. Engelhardt distributed Devault Village at Spring Oak Site Plan CS-101 dated January 10, 2014 with an attached Lot Impervious Table. He explained his goal of locking into an impervious surface number. The table would legally designate to the builder and buyer what exactly is allowed by listing the following:

Mr. Wright said he was able to track these limitations and the buyer will know how much impervious is in the balance. Mr. Comitta suggested adding the date to the body of this attachment. The last column was not considered necessary by some Members. Five notes appeared at the bottom of the chart, each had an edit or notation as follows.

Note 1) Shall be changed to read-At no point shall additional impervious area be allowed on any lot greater than the maximum impervious area shown on the lot impervious table.

Note 2) The developer may choose to build the maximum impervious area at the initial time of construction, however this must be disclosed to homeowner prior to sale. The comment being that it ignores the 10% reserve that Mr. Allen said Mr. Kuhn wants built in.

Note 3) The building permit plot plan must include the maximum allowable impervious coverage per the lot impervious table at the time of submission. Mr. Wright wants to change the wording to read exact amount being permitted and maximum amount on table.

Note 4) The impervious numbers in the lot impervious table are not transferrable to any other lot. Mr. Allen questioned the applicant as to how these figures were obtained. Mr. Engelhardt replied the plan showed a very conservative building box that can be smaller but not larger. Mr. Allen reminded the applicants that this must be defendable in a court of law.

Note 5) The maximum impervious coverage shall be the lesser of the percentage shown on the lot impervious table or the 75% maximum impervious coverage per lot as stated in the Township ordinance. Mr. Wright and Mr. Allen feel this is unnecessary when viewed against the last column and Mr. Allen wanted Mr. Thompson to look into this further.

Discussion followed regarding permitting triggers and processes, and final “as-builts”. Mr. Richter discussed the need for a checklist or built in policing by the HOA. Mr. Wright will capture these “exceeds permits” with a list of stormwater management controls to share at the next meeting.

Garage Arrangement (2)

Mr. Engelhardt distributed Devault Village at Spring Oak Garage Location Exhibit EX-1 dated August 15, 2017. This chart portrayed the four different garages, defining the types, and delineating where they will be placed. This was requested in the February 2017 meeting. Minor changes to some lots, such as close to the green area (lots 28-31) for viewshed etc., were discussed along with usage of narrow passage ways.

Architectural Specificity (3)

Mr. Mostoller stated the Design Manual is almost complete. It has three finished components with various add-ons. The Manual covers product, massing, garages, impervious maximums, along with architectural approvals. However, Mr. Allen reminded applicants of the Board’s desire to have architectural approvals done up-front since the Board wants a complete architectural package for their approval.

This point, or an alternative option, was heavily debated since Mr. Engelhardt had established considerable controls for the Members. There was further discussion regarding clear controls that the builder, not the developer, would be required to get (such as approved architectural designs with placement details). In addition, the process itself would be recorded in a legally recordable plan that included defined home size.


With the below six controls in place, Members suggested the applicants return to the September Meeting with a summary to consider for recommendation to the Board.

  1. Architectural guidelines with approved architectural details and a pattern book for homes.
  2. A Design Manual with lot by lot applied controls and a process for recording the documents.
  3. Application of the 10% impervious improvement chart.
  4. Designated style and placement of garage.
  5. The importance of continued periodic meetings.
  6. A finished Design Manual.

Other Business

Spring Oak

Mr. Comitta distributed a handout entitled Spring Oak Clubhouse, dated July 19, 2017. He told Members that 2 large trees had died that were an important part of the area around the Quigley house foundation. He had received a revised landscape plan from but was countering with a suggestion that included more plantings. This version omitted the recreation of the foundation of the home to seating height. Therefore, his request will also include the reinstatement of items seen on earlier Spring Oak Clubhouse plans.

Administrative Note

Any documents referred to in the minutes are available to the public upon request to the Township office.

Action Items

No action items were identified this evening.


There being no further business, Mr. Westhafer adjourned the meeting at 9:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Gardner
Recording Secretary