Charlestown Township
Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC)
Great Valley High School Library
Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 11, 2021

Meeting was held in Great Valley Middle School, Chorale Room, Room 154.

Attendees present:
Pete Goodman (Chair), Carol Armstrong (Vice Chair), Veda Maany via phone (secretary), Ester Estes, Meg Solomon, Daniel Walker.

Goodman opened the meeting at 7:02 pm.

Budget was approved on a motion by Solomon, seconded by Walker and were approved unanimously.

Minutes were approved on a motion by Armstrong, seconded by Solomon and were approved unanimously.

Election Day 11/2 at Charlestown elementary school

- Walker can set up. Armstrong will do afternoon shifts, and Goodman will do evening shift. Discuss Pollinator plants, township topography, invasive education.

Need for EAC members and associate members.

The EAC will have a change in terms- Richardson will take over Estes term so Estes term will expire soon. To attract new members we need to define role and expectation- should be reflective of our mission. Parks and rec deal more with infrastructure- what is our role exactly- advising or actually doing the physical work. We should interview applicants; we do have an application to review applicants. Action: Solomon, Armstrong and Goodman will write bylaws by end of October. Goodman will set up a time.

Invasives at Brightside

- call for volunteer clean-up organized by Ester Underhill. We should have joint effort between P&R and EAC. There is talk about restarting a weed warrior program. We could get organized to remove mile a minute as a project for the spring. Estes will ask P&R to consider this joint effort when she attends their next meeting. Mile a minute is considered annual/perennial. Estes will ask a P&R member to come to our next meeting to discuss their weed warrior program.

EAC plans/goals for 2022.

Improve our technology and outreach. Develop a program to let people register for our events.

Reflecting on past year, the township has reached out to us for input on tree ordinance, Jenkins property, beautification project, electrical supply company. We can have our own goals as a committee but we make ourselves available to respond to the needs of BoS, P&R and Planning Commission.

Northern Chester County EAC has invited county commissioner Moskovitz to a meeting.

Armstrong will write up a piece to show our EAC has achievement and accomplishments.

Pesticide ordinances

– Maany gave a summary on PA Explicit Preemption Laws. She will write an article for a newsletter for educational purposes.

Comments on Jenkins property development, invited by land planner, Kelsey Stanton

– review most uptodate revision. Review tree removal, trails (impervious vs pervious), raingarden, lighting, bathroom, etc. We can write up our recommendations in a letter. There is some resident concern. There is no timeline so we have time to review. Will discuss on November’s agenda.

Riparian buffer project

– Pigeon Run on Brightside Farm Park - get pricing on the mowing in November around our plantings. The mower needs specific instruction.

Ailanthus tree removal

- Goodman needs to assess viability of the trees.

Community Education series

- The Streams of Charlestown and Fishing in Charlestown – need new title - Fall of 2021 (Goodman)- settle on a date. Look into availability for November 15th or 16th from Linda.

Armstrong has written an article on individual actions to increase energy efficiency and reduce individual greenhouse gas footprint for newsletter- she sent to all of us to review

Beautification of basins

along Route 29 near Turnpike. We are waiting on Charlie Philips lead.

From BoS meeting: Armstrong gave a brief summary on the Turnpike’s new requests for BoS approval of environmental modifications for their utility ducts to go down steep slope - planned to take place over 3-4 weeks and done in sections. Issues included the involvement of Charlestown Oaks using easement, going through 15-25 % slopes, removing trees and replacing with native shrubs, and the trenching process - At the BoS discussion, concern was expressed over erosion. See BoS minutes for final decision.

Announcement that Walker was re-appointed to Planning commission.

Meeting adjourned at 9:12.