Charlestown Township
Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC)
Meeting Minutes
Monday, March 8, 2021

Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, the meeting was held remotely via Zoom.

Attendees present:
Pete Goodman (Chair), Carol Armstrong (Vice Chair), Veda Maany (secretary), Daniel Walker, Meg Solomon, Esther Estes, and Sharon Richardson.

Pete Goodman (chair) opened the meeting at 7:00 pm.

Minutes were approved on a motion by Richardson, seconded by Armstrong, and were approved unanimously.

Upcoming conferences announced.

Per Maany’s request for accommodation, there was a discussion around moving our meetings on second Mondays of the month at 7 pm. Goodman put forth a motion to move meeting permanently starting in April. Richardson seconded it. All were in favor. Goodman will advise Linda- next meeting is the 12 of April.

A briefing was provided by those having attended the Northern Chester County EAC meeting. West Pikeland is interested in helping EAC coordinate educational programs for our communities to shrink their lawns. Richardson will be giving a presentation about it on March 23 called “Honey I shrank my lawn”. Also, at the meeting, acquaintance was made with WeConservePA — a terrific resource for EAC. They were formerly known as the PA Land Trust Alliance (PALTA). They have a lot of resources for us — bylaws, the EAC handbook, etc. They are a PA support organization for land trusts. Armstrong requested of WeConservePa if we could list all our webinars on their website.

Earth Day cleanup –

so far haven’t heard much from request for feedback from residents for clean-up focus areas. Picking one location vs. having individual cleanups.

Action: putting out something in nature news about locations and raffle incentives.

Goodman will get bags and supplies- will also get paper lawn waste bags as alternative to plastic.

Only one bid on landscape contract for township property. The BoS had amended the RFP to review the use of herbicides.

Update on Daniel Stoudt development and donation of 55 3-inch caliber trees that were not able to be planted. The Park & Rec was considering putting 25 in wet area in Charlestown Park and other locations in Brightside. At the last BoS meeting the BoS decided to get a monetary replacement instead of the trees.

Jenkins property plan

on Valley Hill Road slated to be a park Chris Lawrence drafted a plan for park with trails running through the woodlands and it was well received by BoS. Township Land planner Tom Comitta will take a look next.

Deerfield riparian buffer –

no update. Grant had been submitted.

Brightside riparian buffer –

Ailanthus tree removal still pending. Armstrong mentioned DCNR is considering a requirement to have townships remove Ailanthus trees.

What chemical do they use for slash and treat? Goodman will let us know.

Community Education Series presentation

for April 19th at 7 pm new title “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle; Getting Started” will be announced in next Nature News. Solomon plans on having a practice session. It will be recorded.

Armstrong wants to know if there is interest in presentation for Watershed-Friendly Property Certification program- could do it later in the summer.

Richardson will do a pollinator webinar in June for National Pollinator week- 20-26th. Wednesday June 16th at 7 pm.

Action: make announcement on Nextdoor, Linda for website and weekly emails and Facebook.

Nature News –

write something about spring plantings. Announce our webinar. Earth Day clean-up announcement.

Newsletter –

Richardson will write up article about pollinators for April 15 deadline. Will also write about Paw Paws for July 15th deadline.

Armstrong wonders if there is an interest on a Short article on federal bills for funding on environmental projects? Establishing EV stations in township to benefit traffic patterns? Perhaps for future date

Wildflower seed planting at Brightside –

we plan on planting milkweed. There is a concern about the sustainability of the milkweed that is currently growing there They were supposed to hold off mowing until seeds were dispersed which correlates with the end of October- that didn’t happen this year. What can we do next year to prevent premature mowing? Make sure it is enforced for next year? Work closely with Park & Rec and be in touch with Alix.

Richardson sent out an email to members about Arbor Day sale of plants available through the Lancaster County Conservation District. Goodman will run idea by Cori Trice of Chester County Conservation District to see if there is interest in doing a program like that locally.

EAC bylaws.

We will create a subcommittee to look at WeConservePA bylaws to see what is of use to us? Armstrong, Goodman, Solomon will be on subcommittee.

Next meeting date is Monday, April 12 at 7 pm.

Meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm.