Minutes were recorded for the meeting on December 12, 2018 at the Great Valley High School Library, 225 N. Phoenixville Pike, Malvern, PA 19355. Meeting was held from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Attendees were Pete Goodman, Carol Armstrong, Richard Findlay, Veda Maany, Daniel Walker, and Greg Nesspor, and Kevin Kuhns (BoS).
The meeting was called to order at 6:05 pm with Pete Goodman as the Chair.
Minutes from previous meeting were approved by all board members.
Pete Goodman opened the meeting providing updates on the Adelphia Gateway Project pipeline. Again, he confirmed that there are no plans for blowdown assembly in Charlestown, however there are still concerns for integrity of the line. Lynda Farrell (of the Pipeline Safety Coalition) is looking to develop a community awareness network that would involve linking various EAC’s. The intention is to create a collective of information and resources for pipeline information. Farrell will provide a questionnaire that Goodman will look at to determine our level of involvement. Goodman also participates in a biweekly phone call with the Adelphia pipeline group. Their main objection to the pipeline is related to the compressor stations- there are plans for one in Rockhill in the middle of a residential area that is to be gas fired (rather than electric).
Armstrong & Walker, as part of the education on plastics use, are working on creating a plaque/certification (endorsed by the township) to provide local businesses acknowledging their efforts towards sustainability.
Goodman & Walker provided an update on the turnpike sound walls initiative. There is some conflict around how the BoS will allocate funds for the initiative. Funds should be handled by an organization within the township government, not an outside group that has contracted with an outside lawyer. The EAC would be an appropriate organization (there is an ordinance being drawn up to make our EAC official in January) however, it would be beyond the EAC’s jurisdiction as advisors to take up litigation. This must be done through the township and its contracted lawyer. There is a meeting with BoS and the sound wall committee scheduled for December 18th to discuss this further.
Armstrong & Goodman are working on grant preparation for riparian buffer along a tributary to Pigeon Run on Brightside Farm to improve stream health. Armstrong is drafting a report to submit to the BoS for their approval. Armstrong is also meeting with Scott Bush (state certified bog turtle habitat assessor) who has offered his services pro bono to evaluate the area. Armstrong has also obtained soil testing kits (testing for nutrients and pH for category of trees) to do in the spring. We would like to make this riparian buffer restoration project a high visibility event by listing it on township website. Also, would like to get the schools involved. As for maintenance, there are many organic methods to use to control weeds. There is also an easement with French & Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust for special protection on part of the land (about 0.7 acres) that will need approval for the final plan to move forward. No problems with that are anticipated. Armstrong is also acquiring an accurate map of the planting area from Mike Bullard (science coordinator for Green Valley Watershed Association). Crow and Berry (restoration specialist) will need 2-3 months advance notice for ordering of the specific species of plants we need. Possible sources of grants are
For the township quarterly newsletter, Findlay suggests an article outlining our goals for 2019 in an effort to recruit more EAC members. Maany suggests an article discussing lawn care and reducing pesticide use for the spring issue. Articles due the 15th of the first month of the quarter thus 1/15 4/15 7/15 10/15
We discussed our 2019 budget and funds allocated by BoS- $1,000 for 2019. Findlay has outlined the following which we all have reviewed:
|Project||Line Item||Amount $’s|
|Turnpike Sound Wall||Consulting Fees||$25,000|
|Riparian Buffer Planting||Incidental Expenses||$150|
|Stream Naming||Incidental Expenses||$150|
|Adelphia Gateway Pipeline||Incidental Expenses||$100|
|Education Series||Printing & Web Services||$300|
|Septic Monitoring||Printing and Postage||$100|
Chris Lawrence (of P&R) has reached out and asked for help with a group he is organizing in the spring to work on Charlestown Park native trees. Findlay has offered to help, although he will be away from mid March to mid-April.
Armstrong would like the EAC to be a partner with the Keystone 10 Million Trees Partnership, which is coordinated by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. Keystone 10 Million is a statewide program involving Federal, State, Municipal, corporate, and many non-government organizations that protect Pennsylvania streams and water quality, with the goal of planting 10 million trees by 2025. Our projects would contribute to their goals. Carol will contact the new Program Manager for this Partnership.
Meeting was adjourned at 7 pm.