Planning Commission:
Bill Westhafer, Chairman, Michael Allen, Michael Churchill, Wendy Leland, Andy Motel, and Michael Richter. Andre von Hoyer was absent.
Dan Wright and Dan Mallach
Linda Csete, Lisa Gardner

Call to Order:

7:32 p.m.


Charlestown Day is this Saturday from 10-2pm, rain or shine.

Approval of Minutes

August 14, 2018 Minutes

Mr. Allen moved to approve the minutes of August 14, 2018, and Mr. Richter seconded. Mr. Westhafer called for discussion, and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

Preliminary Subdivision & Land Development Applications

Meyer Subdivision – Bodine Road

Before the presentation began, it was discovered that notification letters, sent out to abutting neighbors to the proposed subdivision, neglected to specify that the meeting was taking place tonight. Therefore, only a brief overview of the review letters was presented with Mr. George Meyer and Mr. Nick Vastardis, P.E. At November’s Planning Commission, there will be a full presentation of the Preliminary Subdivision Plan for the 7-lot subdivision of the 23.8-acre property at 2227 Bodine Road following proper notification.

Mr. Allen commented that the Chester County Planning Commission review letter was a valuable tool that noted specific comments helpful to the Members.

Mr. Vastardis addressed review comments from Mr. Wright’s letter dated 9/5/18 as follows:

#22 This needs to be added to the waiver list. Bodine Road’s compliance needs verification. The less busy Seven Oaks Road will require removal of several mature trees unless the applicant requests a waiver. Members favored preserving the trees.
#24 Raised vertical curbs are required for developments with lots less than one acre. Mr. Meyer proposes flush vertical curbs and roadside swales for the roadway, instead of raised curbs, and will require a waiver.
#28 Sidewalks were discussed as an asset to the Plan. Mr. Allen wants Mr. Mallach to recommend this to the Applicant. A loop around the Open Space or a path through it, mowing schedules, and a Horseshoe Trail link were all discussed. Members hope the trail can be moved off Bodine Road and onto the easement. Mr. Meyer intended for the area to be open for ball play, with a fenced in area for dog walking. Mr. Mallach will research restrictions for the area. Mr. Meyer will place a significant landscape buffer between his home and the development.
#37 There was some confusion regarding a note on the Plan vs. drawings for the requirement of underground stormwater management systems. Detail on the Plan shows the flow going underground but the drawings do not. The applicant will correct the error and request a waiver from the underground requirement.
#45 A profile view will be provided to adequately portray the bioretention basin.
#64 Curbing shall be placed along Bodine Road to address the existing erosion problems to the satisfaction of the Township Engineer.

Mr. Vastardis addressed review comments from Mr. Comitta’s review memo dated 9/5/18 as follows:

#2 Street trees were discussed.
#10 Mr. Vastardis may need to contract for the 3D site depiction if he cannot provide an adequate view of the proposed Plan.

Mr. Mallach suggested that the topography be considered when making buffer recommendations. A site visit, after the leaves fall, will be beneficial to the aesthetics of the Plan. Mr. Mallach and Mr. Wright will visit the site for a tree survey and grading evaluations. Any 12-inch diameter tree removed will require a 3-inch caliper tree to be planted.

Great Valley Commons Lot One LP Land Development Plan

Mr. Tim Townes presented two versions of revised sketch plans for proposed parking expansion at General Warren Village. One was dated September 5th, and the second was dated September 11th. At a previous meeting, Mr. Townes was told to return to the PC with a proposed number of new spots without exceeding the impervious limits. His goal was returning with 100 new spots.

Tonight, he was returning with 22 new spots in the September 5th Plan. He also added an overflow parking area across the street using a retaining wall and basin that increased his total by 39 new spots. This Plan would have speed tables at both egresses.

However, the September 11, 2018 Plan, does not require crossing the street, which is Mr. Townes’ preference. Points of discussion:

Mr. Townes will return with a revision that includes a stormwater plan. Members like the current landscaping and hope Mr. Townes can exclude it from the next revision. The area is meant to be a walkable TND. Crossing the street to park in a TND is part of the design intent, but in this situation, it is troublesome to some of the Members. Mr. Townes hopes to be able to find a Plan that does not require crossing General Warren Boulevard.

General Planning Items

Discussion on Moving forward with Traffic Improvements

Mrs. Csete referred to a spreadsheet of identified intersections where improvements were advised, either by the Act 209 plan, DVRPC traffic studies, or Township requested traffic studies from PennDOT.

Of the 13 intersections identified in the Act 209 Plan of 2014, four improvement projects have been completed. However, all four were in the Devault area and were driven by PennDOT, not by the Township.

At the Township’s Long-Term Planning Meeting in August, attended by the Board of Supervisors Chairperson Mr. Piliero, Mr. Westhafer, and herself, she asked how the Township could move forward with addressing traffic issues.

With regard to Route 401 (Conestoga Road) and Valley Hill Road, where left turn lanes are indicated for both directions on Route 401 onto Valley Hill Road:

If the Township were to move forward with improvements, the current estimate is between $1 M and $1.5 M.

Members agreed to add $30,000 to the 2019 budget for traffic studies and guidance through the entire process. Mr. von Hoyer will work with Mrs. Csete to develop a proposal for distribution to traffic control specialists.

Other Business

Mr. Kuhn of the Board of Supervisors, Mr. Motel, and Mr. Westhafer, attended the Traffic Management Association of Chester County seminar (TMACC) on September 6 entitled, The Transportation Oriented Development Summit. They each attended breakout sessions such as Transit Oriented Developments.

Administrative Note

Any documents referred to in the minutes are available to the public upon request to the Township office.


There being no further business, Mr. Westhafer adjourned the meeting at 8:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Gardner
Recording Secretary