Charlestown Township
Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC)
Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 10, 2021

Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, the meeting was held remotely via Zoom.

Attendees present:
Pete Goodman (Chair), Carol Armstrong (Vice Chair), Veda Maany (secretary), Daniel Walker, Meg Solomon, Esther Estes, and Sharon Richardson. Esther Underhill and Tim Pappasas guest.

Pete Goodman (chair) opened the meeting at 7:05 pm.

Minutes with edits were approved on a motion by Solomon, seconded by Richardson, and were approved unanimously.

Electric supply contract for Township: Township ask us to look at who supplies electricity for township- streetlights, traffic lights, and supplying to township bldg. We should create a subcommittee to look into this. We should probably involve Mark Connolly as he has presented this as an issue in the past. Goal is to Use green energy. We have the current contract to review and determine what recommendations we may have. We should probably propose 2-3 different options. Think about fixed price and variable options. Existing contract expires in August. Goodman and Solomon will be on committee.

Armstrong proposes installing hobo temperature loggers at Brightside in Pigeon run. Track stream temperatures. Also measures light intensity. There are 2 different technologies to choose from- from $69 to $133. Where in the stream would it go? under canopy? This would be in addition to the water monitoring that Stroud is doing (macro invertebrates) and GVWA is collecting information and sending to academy of natural sciences. Armstrong will get more information on the mounting of the sensor- downstream by the springhouse to ensure enough water to cover.

Mission statement revision: we fixed grammatical errors, and any enhancement is something we could put on the webpage. Solomon drafted a separate paragraph to post on our website indicating what other activities we are involved in- Solomon will send around on email and we will discuss via emails.

Deerfield riparian buffer: Over the past few days- 18 trees were planted in tubes- 2 additional rows have been laid out and we are ready to plant towards the weekend- Goodman would like to start on Saturday at 9 am to noon. Deerfield will send out email to the HOA for assistance and planting. But if we get the pollinator plants that will take priority.

Wingspan Pollinator program: We are still waiting for the plants to arrive. Armstrong has been out drilling holes but the meadow growth is fast- different plants requiring different soils. Hoses at the community garden not set up yet.

Brightside riparian buffer project: we are thinking that the Ailanthus trees were hacked and treated- by whom? Linda never received a bill from anyone for the work.

Pollinator Program – Richardson will be doing a Cross-municipal EAC about educating public about pollinator plants. The “Guess who is Coming to Dinner” talk by Richardson 6/16 @ 7:00 p.m.

Community Education Series: How do we increase our visibility to generate more of an audience to our webinars. Discussion around future talks– Richardson has some names of persons of tree experts interested in giving talks- she will find out their availability and charge. Also, can have an event around Paw Paw trees. We can see if we can coordinate this with Charlestown Day as an in-person event but have to feel out what BoS and township is thinking about Charlestown Day. Goodman is planning on a presentation on Streams of Charlestown: third Thursday of September tentatively. Email Goodman for any suggestions for our running idea list for presentations. Also consider hazardous waste talk.

How to publish our webinars? We have posted our slides on the website.

Topics for Nature News: Solomon would like to address how to manage yard pests like mosquitoes. Write about some do and don’ts.

Township Newsletter: next due date- July 15 with issue out in August. Armstrong will write about the pollinator program. Maany will write about Earth Day clean-up efforts. Goodman will write about Deerfield project. Richardson will write about Paw Paws.

No update on survey on Charlestown Riparian Buffers.

Ailanthus along Horseshoe Trail – Goodman was informed that the residents treated the trees on their own. There are hack marks on them.

PA Turnpike Soundwalls: Goodman talked with project manager in charge of turnpike construction/widening of Valley Forge to Downingtown (stretch - 29 to Valley Forge and 29 to Downingtown). Now each of those sections are divided into 2 sections: first from VF interchange to Valley Forge Road - first phase of widening will occur over 2-3 years. Once that is complete the next stretch will be going west into the Valley Creek watershed. The 3rd piece closest to Downingtown to Valley Hill and finally the last piece is Valley Hill to 29. Upgraded sound studies in eastern part of township will be needed.

EAC bylaws: Goodman Armstrong and Solomon are working on it — looking at other EACs and will present to group with recommendations when finalized. Need to be clear for future members and also to reflect our own culture. How will we vote on the set of bylaws? Goodman asked Linda who suggested approval by solicitor as well as BoS.

Estes is also putting together a film to be aired on local Tredyffrin Township (and On Demand) about composting - she is interviewing local residents about home composting. Filming will take place in June.

Next meeting date is Monday, April 12 at 7 pm.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.