Great Valley Middle School, Room 154
255 North Phoenixville Pike, Malvern, PA


Frank a. Piliero, Chairman, Charles A. Philips, Vice Chairman, Kevin R. Kuhn, Susan T. Bednar, and Hugh D. Willig (absent).
Mark P. Thompson, Esq. and Daniel T. Wright, P.E.
Linda Csete, Manager, Lisa Gardner, Recording Secretary, Beth Martin, Assistant Secretary, Tim Hubbard, Public Safety & Property Coordinator, Michael Allen, Staff Planner, and Jim Thompson, Roadmaster.

Call to Order:

7:00 p.m.


The Board of Supervisors held an executive session on March 1st at 10 a.m., at the Township office to discuss legal and personnel matters.

Citizens Forum

Mr. Lou Rubenfield was aware that the monthly report was delayed but reported significant noise complaints that Mr. Wright passed on to Beyond Meat’s management. The reefer trucks ran during the 7pm-7am quiet time and this noise will be closely scrutinized by the sound engineer. Mr. Wright also stated that the odors will be receiving a closer look with ozone generator technology. Mr. Gary Sheridan may get involved since he has some expertise in this area. The permits have been approved, the pad has been poured for the new liquid nitrogen tanks, and they will arrive March 21st. Installation will take about 2 weeks.

The Township office may move to its new location near the end of October.


Mr. Kuhn moved to approve the below reports. Ms. Bednar seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

  1. Minutes for the February 7, 2022, Business meeting
  2. February 2022 Treasurer’s Report
  3. Operating Fund Accounts Payable Report for March 7, 2022
  4. Liquid Fuels Fund Accounts Payable Report for March 7, 2022
  5. Capital Fund-General Projects Report for March 7, 2022
  6. Capital Fund-Open space Projects Payable Report for March 7, 2022


Mr. Philips moved to accept the February 2022 reports #1-17 as submitted and Mr. Kuhn seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

Old Business –


New Business

Uwchlan Ambulance Corps Request for Charlestown to Join Funding Committee

Mrs. Csete said that she and Mr. Hubbard met with Ms. Kathi Cozzone, Executive Director, and Ms. Tammi Whiteman, Chief of Operations for Uwchlan Ambulance Corp on February 16th at the Township office. They presented background information on funding needs and requested that the Township join other municipalities on a “Thirds Proposal” committee that would work out an equitable municipal contribution for 2023 and beyond. Mrs. Csete said that even though Charlestown proportionally contributes more than other townships, the Corps is looking for funding beyond that amount in the future.

She explained that the “Thirds Proposal” is a formula that averages each municipality’s percentage share in 3 categories: population, millage, and call volume. They are requesting that the Board agree to send someone to sit on their committee to work with the other municipalities. The objective is to develop the concept into something everyone can agree with and commit to. The Corp is one of four providers for the Township and serves a very small portion of it.

There were 23 calls to different locations last year, plus 58 to one particular patient that is no longer a resident. Mr. Hubbard thought the request was high even with an increase in calls and population. Discussion followed regarding the closing of Jennersville and Brandywine hospitals, decreasing insurance reimbursements, and exactly what type of service would be responding (Advanced Life Support vs. Basic Life Support).

All Board Members, Mrs. Csete, and Mr. Hubbard wondered why the tax millage would be a factor in the equation. The Township’s funding increased to $10,000 (from $5000) last year. The Corps requested $27,000 for 2023. Mr. Philips felt that Charlestown should not be a party to the committee and it was an unreasonable request. Mr. Hubbard and Mrs. Csete were directed to ask for justification for requesting an increase beyond the $10,000 that was given last year.

Brightside Farm-Mummert Report Recommendations

Planning Commissioner Andy Motel, referred to the report issued by Dan Mummert a diversity biologist with the PA Game Commission detailing his Wildlife Diversity Management Recommendations for Brightside Farm. Copies were made available. Since the park is over 10 acres, it was eligible for a free assessment to review and offer suggestions for care to promote Township objectives. Mr. Motel distributed a questionnaire he completed for Mummert with the help of Ms. Csete and Supervisor Kevin Kuhn in May of 2022. To complete the assessment, Mr. Mummert visited Brightside on May 10, and August 25, 2021. He also visited June 8th to place leg bands on the Kestrel chicks in the nest box on the farm driveway. That day, it was obvious to all who attended the fields had just been cut. The following items were discussed after Mr. Motel distributed a Google Earth Map of the location:

  1. Whether fields are managed to produce hay or as grassland meadow no cutting should occur before August 1st which allows ground nesting birds time to fledge their young.
  2. Hayfield management is different than grassland meadow management. Hayfields are cut at least once a year, often several times. Grassland meadow is cut less frequently but again, never before August 1st. Grassland meadow habitat is increasingly rare in Southeastern Pennsylvania as most farm fields are planted and cut every year and offer very little value as habitat. Mummert assessed Brightside as a unique opportunity to create that grassland habitat which then supports grassland bird species presently in severe decline along with native plants, wildflowers, their pollinators, and other wildlife.
  3. Grassland meadows should be cut once every three years. Mummert suggested dividing Brightside’s fields into thirds, then cutting 1/3 annually y.
  4. Ms. Underhill showed the Board a 2015 Brightside mowing rotation sketch created by Mr. Theurkauf. She reminded the Board to consider what the residents would want as far as mowing.
  5. Ms. Armstrong said that the mowing at this park destroyed the seed pack for native wildflowers.
  6. Mr. Mummert had suggested the Township remove hedgerows as those are detrimental to grassland birds and hedgerows also promote the spread of invasive plants.
  7. Mr. Mummert also suggested using Roundup on the Johnsongrass. Ms. Armstrong said it would take 3 years and include a planting program that may be eligible for federal funding.
  8. Alix Coleman said extreme cold will kill the rhizomes but there needed to be more research on Roundup usage at Brightside Farm.
  9. The Board wanted one contact person for a RES survey. Mr. Motel will work with Mr. Hubbard to get things started for this spring. Ms. Armstrong wants to tour the site with RES.
  10. Mr. Hubbard will ask RES to review Mr. Mummert’s recommendations but more immediately propose a cutting schedule and a solution to the Johnson grass.
  11. The group below will meet again to discuss the next steps:
    1. A Park & Rec Board Member
    2. PC Commissioner Motel
    3. Mr. Hubbard
    4. Ms. Armstrong and/ or an additional EAC rep.

Swiss Pines Repair to the Llewellen House Roof

Mr. Wright said he spoke with Mr. Coyle, a trustee for the Bartschi Foundation, about the condition of the Llewellen mansion. It is a historic structure in the Historic District that faces demolition by neglect. Mr. Coyle obtained two estimates for roof replacement, one with cedar shingles for $165,000 and one with asphalt shingles at $138,000. The Bartschi Foundation is responsible for payment. Mr. Wright noted that the Historic District requires either cedar shingles or a standing seam metal roof. Discussion followed about gutters, tree removal, and having the Bartschi Foundation secure the gutters and roof now via temporary repairs as Mr. Wright discussed with HARB co-chair Rosemary Philips.

GreenWeaver Landscapes Proposal for 2022 Maintenance of Charlestown Mill

Mrs. Csete introduced the proposal for the Charlestown Mill landscaping maintenance. The price is the same as in 2021 and the hourly rate is $5 higher.

Mr. Philips moved to approve the Charlestown Woolen Mill Spring clean-up at $4,800.00 and the 2022 Woolen Mill Meadow Maintenance Services at $90.00/hour and Mr. Kuhn seconded, amending the motion to include a request for feedback from Ed Theurkauf, who performs inspections at the site twice a year. Mr. Piliero called for discussion. Ms. Armstrong requested the contract be more specific (regarding chemicals, procedures, and signage) because it is in an environmentally sensitive location (within 50 feet of a stream), she will send the details to Mrs. Csete. Mr. Philips said GreenWeavers has had this contract for the past five years and those issues were addressed at that time.

Update on Devault Basin Charette

Mr. Philips gave an update on the charette held March 1st at the Middle School with experts from RES and members of the committee. They will follow progress on the viewscape leading up to the Turnpike. The following points were discussed:

  1. The Task Schedule was set and selective mowing will be initiated at the end of March.
  2. Follow-up herbicide will take place in June after the Johnsongrass comes back.
  3. Plant selection and plugs will be used in early spring and again in October.
  4. Charlestown is to contact the neighboring property regarding phragmites.
  5. There is some railroad equipment that will need to be hauled away or moved under the turnpike bridge.
  6. Watering, signage, and the task schedule for 2023 and 2024 were drafted.
  7. Ms. Armstrong will record progress by taking photos.
  8. The Township received a recommendation to install a “restoration platform” so that visitors could look over the area and take progress photos.

Jenkins Park Master Site Development Plan

Mr. Mount said that Mr. Theurkauf’s proposal for services has been submitted to the Board and he requested approval.

Mr. Kuhn moved to approve the plan and bid package at $13,195 and Mr. Philips seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion and there was none. Mr. Piliero called the vote and all were in favor.

Authorization-Offer Letter to purchase Conservation Easement – Rodgers Property

Mr. Kuhn discussed obtaining an easement on the Rodgers property, the preparation costs to be covered by the Township because Mr. Rodgers was a long-time Board Member.

Mr. Philips moved to authorize Mr. Kuhn to send a letter to Mrs. Fran Rodgers offering to acquire an easement on her 7.5 acre property and to approve covering the costs associated with the drafting and implementation of the easement along with the monitoring fee. Mr. Piliero seconded then called for discussion. There being none he called the vote, and all were in favor.

Authorize Appraisal for Hevner Property

Mr. Kuhn suggested the Township cover the costs for this donation of removing one building right on previously conserved land that currently retains one building right.

Ms. Bednar moved to authorize an appraisal for the Hevner property and Mr. Philips seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

Proposal in Conduct Background Check

Mrs. Csete said a proposal to conduct the background check on the future manager was received from Mr. Chad Bruckner. Mr. Bruckner came recommended by Mr. David Woglom involved in the placement process.

Mr. Kuhn moved to accept the proposal from Intercounty Investigations & Solutions, Inc. for $3,095 and Ms. Bednar seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

Advertise for Road Maintenance Contract Bids

Mrs. Csete stated that she circulated a draft of the annual Road Equipment & Labor Bid document to the Board and Roadmaster for review.

Mr. Kuhn moved to authorize the advertising of the bid, to be due at the Township Office, 4030 Whitehorse Road, Devault, PA, on April 4, 2022, at noon. Bids will be opened at 7 p.m. at the April 4th Business Meeting. Mr. Philips seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion, and there being none, called the vote. All were in favor.

Brightside Farmhouse Lease 6/1/2022-5/31/23

Mrs. Csete said the rent was last increased in 2020 to $900 a month. The lease expires on 5/31/22 and any rent increase must be communicated to the tenants 60 days before the expiration.

Mr. Kuhn moved to direct the Manager to inform the current tenants that the rent would remain the same for the 6/1/22-5/31/203 term and Mr. Philips seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion, and there being none, called the vote, and all were in favor.

Escrow Release #5- Devault Village at Spring Oak

Mr. Piliero moved to approve escrow release #5 for Devault Village at Spring Oak. Mr. Kuhn seconded. Mr. Piliero called for discussion, and there being none called the vote. All were in favor.

Preliminary Discussion on 2022 Road Improvement Projects

Mr. Wright and the Roadmaster discussed Blackberry and Sidley Hill Roads for resurfacing this year. Warner Lane may also be considered since $300,000 was budgeted and Blackberry and Sidley Hill come in at a roughly estimated $117,000 (including labor and materials). Mr. Wright will return with a proposal and updated prices for the next meeting.

Other Business


Mr. Piliero announced that an executive session would be held following the meeting to discuss legal matters. Mr. Piliero adjourned the meeting at 8:20 p.m. The next Business Meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 4, 2022, at 7 p.m., at the Great Valley Middle School.

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa K. Gardner
Recording Secretary
sheet, 3/7/2022